305K salmon escape into waters near Washington islands, unusual solar eclipse tides blamed

[ad_1]

As many as 305,000 Atlantic salmon have been accidentally released into the waters near the San Juan Islands in Washington State, and officials are asking anyone with a valid fishing license to help reel the escapees back in.

The breakout happened Saturday when a net imploded at the Cooke Aquaculture net pen operated off Cypress Island. Thousands of 10-pound salmon fled from the containment out into open water.

SHARK FEASTS ON SEAL IN VIDEO, CAUSES PANIC ON CAPE COD BEACH

In a report from The Seattle Times, tribal fishers are calling the accident “a devastation,” and are concerned about the negative impact this could have on native salmon populations. Many fishers in the area have concerns about the Atlantic salmon preying on the native Pacific salmon babies.

A member of the Lummi Natural Resources staff and fish commission, G.I. James, told The Seattle Times, “It is potentially a disease issue, and impact on our fish, as dire a shape as they are in, right now any impact to them is difficult to absorb.”

James is concerned about the wild Pacific salmon as they face enough trouble already without the addition of Atlantic salmon invading their home waters.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is just as concerned for the fish population and is urging people to catch as many of the Atlantic salmon as they can, with no size or number limit.

“Catch as many as you want,” Ron Warren, the fish program assistant director of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, has stated. “We don’t want anything competing with our natural populations. We have never seen a successful crossbreeding with Atlantic salmon, but we don’t want to test the theory.”

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE FOX LIFESTYLE NEWS

Cooke Aquaculture released a statement this morning blaming “exceptionally high tides and current coinciding with this week’s solar eclipse” for the net breaking and the ensuing catastrophic damage.

Cooke continued in the statement, saying “It will not be possible to confirm exact numbers of fish losses until harvesting is completed and an inventory of fish in the pens has been conducted.”

It is unknown the exact number of fish that escaped, but Warren said the net was holding about three million pounds of fish when it imploded.

The accident is still under investigation.

[ad_2]

Source link

Cyclist ‘blamed victim’ after fatal London crash

[ad_1]

Kim BriggsImage copyright
Met Police

Image caption

Kim Briggs died after being injured while crossing Old Street in Shoreditch in February

A cyclist who knocked over and killed a woman posted on online forums the crash was “her fault”, the Old Bailey heard.

Charlie Alliston, of Trothy Road, Bermondsey, was 18 when he allegedly hit Kim Briggs while going 20mph in central London in February 2016.

Mrs Briggs, 44, suffered brain injuries, including two skull fractures and died in hospital days later.

In what is believed to be a legal first, Mr Alliston, now 20, is on trial for manslaughter, which he denies.

He also denies causing bodily harm by wanton or furious driving.

HR consultant Mrs Briggs, of Lewisham, south London, had been on her lunch break when the crash happened.

‘Not my fault’

The jury heard Alliston had been riding a “fixie” – a fixed wheel track bicycle with no front brake used by track racing cyclists – which is not legal on the road without modification.

A few days after the incident in Old Street, Shoreditch, Mr Alliston posted a comment online, claiming he had tried to warn Mrs Briggs but that she had “ignored me” and “stopped dead” in his path, the court heard.

The jury was told he wrote: “I feel bad due to the seriousness of her injuries but I can put my hand up and say this is not my fault.”

Image copyright
PA

Image caption

Charlie Alliston said Mrs Briggs had “ignored me” and “stopped dead” in his path on online forums, the court heard

On the forum he described how their heads collided and hers “ricocheted” into his, the trial heard.

He wrote: “It is a pretty serious incident so I won’t bother saying she deserved it. It was her fault but she did not deserve it.”

He went on to claim in the forum Mrs Briggs had been on her mobile phone at the time of the incident, the court heard.

Jurors at the Old Bailey were shown CCTV footage of the collision on 12 February and were told the defendant had been riding a black PlanetX carbon frame fixed rear pedal cycle.

That type of bike is more commonly seen racing at the Olympic velodrome, jurors were told.

If Mr Alliston had been riding a bike with proper brakes, he would have been able to avoid the collision with Mrs Briggs, prosecutor Duncan Penny QC said.

The trial continues.

[ad_2]

Source link

Usain Bolt: Delays blamed for injury at World Championships – Yohan Blake

[ad_1]

Analysis: How Bolt’s career ended in heartbreak

Usain Bolt “was really cold” before pulling up with injury in his last championship final, according to his Jamaican relay team-mates.

Bolt’s London finale ended in disappointment as he suffered a muscle cramp before the end of the 4x100m relay final, which was won by Great Britain.

Yohan Blake, who ran the third leg, said: “The race was 10 minutes late, we were kept 40 minutes. It was crazy.

“They were holding us too long.”

Bolt had hoped to bring an end to his career with another two gold medals in London but leaves with only a bronze from last weekend’s 100m.

And, seconds after taking the baton for Jamaica’s anchor leg, he pulled up and tumbled to the floor with Dr Kevin Jones, Jamaica’s team doctor, confirming Bolt had cramp in his left hamstring.

“It was 40 minutes and two medal presentations before our run,” added 2011 world 100m champion Blake.

“We keep warming up and waiting, then warming up and waiting. I think it got the better of us.

“It hurts to see a true legend, a true champion go out there and struggle like that.”

Usain Bolt ends his career with 11 world championship gold medals

Omar McLeod, the 110m hurdle champion who led out the Jamaican team, echoed the criticism of delays at the start of the final.

Mo Farah’s lap of honour after his second place in the 5,000m final seemed to delay the schedule, with the event’s medal ceremony also taking place before the relay final.

“It’s heart-wrenching,” he said. “I gave it my all and I really wanted Usain to leave golden, or even if it was just a medal.

“It was ridiculous, man. We waited a really long time. I drank two bottles of water.

“But Usain Bolt’s name will always live on.”

GB win gold as Bolt pulls up in 4x100m relay

Justin Gatlin, the 100m champion, called Bolt “still the best in the world” after taking silver with the United States, and also felt that the weather may have played a part in Bolt’s injury.

“I think it was the elements,” he said. “I’m sorry he got this injury.

“This is farewell time, I am sentimental about it already now. In the warm-up area, we give ourselves respect and greeted each other. Usain Bolt is a great athlete.”

Usain Bolt’s medal haul
2007 World Championships Silver (200m), Silver (4x100m relay)
2008 Olympics Gold (100m), Gold (200m)
2009 World Championships Gold (100m), Gold (200m), Gold (4x100m relay)
2011 World Championships Gold (200m), Gold (4x100m relay)
2012 Olympics Gold (100m), Gold (200m), Gold (4x100m relay)
2013 World Championships Gold (100m), Gold (200m), Gold (4x100m relay)
2015 World Championships Gold (100m), Gold (200m), Gold (4x100m relay)
2016 Olympics Gold (100m), Gold (200m), Gold (4x100m relay)
2017 World Championships Bronze (100m)

‘One season too many’

“I think it was just one season too many,” said four-time Olympic champion and BBC Sport pundit Michael Johnson of Bolt.

“I think Bolt was prepared to not win but I don’t think he would have expected his last race to end like that. He would have wanted to cross the finish line.

“Even if he was just closing on the guys ahead – he wanted to give this crowd a show so they can say “I saw Usain Bolt run down the finishing straight.”

“That was disappointing to see. We saw him in a way we have never seen before. In the 100m straining to try to finish and now we see him limping.”

‘How do you replace him?’

Darren Campbell, who won 4x100m Olympic relay gold with Britain in 2004, believes that Bolt’s impact off the track is almost as hard to replace as his skill and records on it.

Bolt’s charisma, charm and character have made him one of the most recognisable and marketable people on the planet.

Usain Bolt last failed to win gold at the 2007 World Championships

“Any stadium that Usain Bolt decides to grace ends up being full, that tells you all you need to know,” Campbell said.

“What we are witnessing is so powerful, so inspirational, he can’t be replaced. How do you replace him – as a sports star and a human being?

“Usain Bolt treats you the same whether you are a dignitary or the poorest man in the world. That’s a unique skill.

“Whether he was a successful sports person or not, I think he would still have that flamboyant character. How do you teach that? I don’t think you can.”

[ad_2]

Source link

Charlottesville white nationalist rally blamed for 3 deaths, dozens of injuries

[ad_1]

A 32-year-old woman was killed Saturday and 19 others were injured, five of them critically, when a car rammed into a group of counter-protesters during the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Va.

A helicopter crash that killed the pilot and a passenger later in the afternoon outside the university town also was linked to the rally by State Police, though officials did not elaborate on how the crash was connected.

At a late afternoon news conference, Charlottesville Police Chief Al Thomas said that 35 people had been injured in various confrontations during the rally and made a point of saying that none of those involved his officers. Thomas also said that the car crash was being treated as an act of “criminal homicide.”

The chaos boiled over at what is believed to be the largest group of white nationalists to come together in a decade: the governor declared a state of emergency, police dressed in riot gear ordered people out and helicopters circled overhead. The group had gathered to protest plans to remove a statue of the Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES AND LANGUAGE

Matt Korbon, a 22-year-old University of Virginia student, told the Associated Press several hundred counter-protesters were marching when “suddenly there was just this tire screeching sound.” A silver Dodge Challenger smashed into another car, then backed up, barreling through “a sea of people.”

The impact hurled people into the air. Those left standing scattered, screaming and running for safety in different directions.

Virginia Secretary of Public Safety Brian Moran told the Associated Press that the driver of the car, a man, was in custody. Moran did not provide the driver’s name.

The crash occurred approximately two hours after clashes in which hundreds of people scramed, chanted, threw punches, hurled water bottles and unleashed chemical sprays on each other ahead of the scheduled noon demonstration. 

Adressing those who he called “the white supremacists and the Nazis who came into Charlottesvillle today,” Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe told them to “go home.”

“There is no place for you here,” McAuliffe said. “There is no place for you in America … Go home and never come back.”

Hours earlier, President Donald Trump condemned “in the strongest possible terms” what he called an “egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides” after the clashes. He called for “a swift restoration of law and order and the protection of innocent lives.”

Hours later, Trump tweeted condolences to the families of the victims of the helicopter crash — who he identified as Virginia state troopers — and the unidentified woman who was killed by the car.

Right-wing blogger Jason Kessler had planned what he called a “pro-white” rally to protest Charlottesville’s decision to remove a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee from a city park.

Oren Segal, who directs the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism, said multiple white power groups had gathered in Charlottesville, including members of neo-Nazi organizations, racist skinhead groups and Ku Klux Klan factions.

“We anticipated this event being the largest white supremacist gathering in over a decade,” Segal said. “Unfortunately, it appears to have become the most violent as well.”

The white nationalist organizations Vanguard America and Identity Evropa; the Southern nationalist League of the South; the National Socialist Movement; the Traditionalist Workers Party; and the Fraternal Order of Alt Knights also were on hand, he said, along with several groups with a smaller presence.

Kessler said this week that the rally is partly about the removal of Confederate symbols but also about free speech and “advocating for white people.”

“This is about an anti-white climate within the Western world and the need for white people to have advocacy like other groups do,” he said in an interview.

The violence was met with universal condemnation from political leaders, as well as first lady Melania Trump, who tweeted: “Our country encourages freedom of speech, but let’s communicate w/o hate in our hearts. No good comes from violence. #Charlottesville.”

Vice President Mike Pence tweeted: “I stand with @POTUS against hate & violence. U.S. is greatest when we join together & oppose those seeking to divide us. #Charlottesville”

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., also tweeted condemning the protests. “The views fueling the spectacle in Charlottesville are repugnant,” Ryan tweeted. “Let it only serve to unite Americans against this kind of vile bigotry.”

The NHL’s Detroit Red Wings released a statement Saturday denouncing the user of their logo at the rally and that they are considering legal action to stop it.

The team said it “vehemently” disagrees with and is not associated with the event.”

A Michigan-based white nationalist group called the Detroit Right Wings uses the Red Wings’ logo.

Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer said he was disappointed that the white nationalists had come to his town and blamed Trump for inflaming racial prejudices during his campaign last year.

“I’m not going to make any bones about it. I place the blame for a lot of what you’re seeing in American today right at the doorstep of the White House and the people around the president.”

Saturday’s violence was the latest confrontation in Charlottesville since the city voted earlier this year to remove the Lee statue.

In May, a torch-wielding group that included prominent white nationalist Richard Spencer gathered around the statue for a nighttime protest, and in July, about 50 members of a North Carolina-based KKK group traveled there for a rally, where they were met by hundreds of counter-protesters.

The city has also renamed Lee Park, where the statue stands, and Jackson Park, named after Confederate General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson. They are now called Emancipation Park and Justice Park, respectively. 

A group called the Monument Fund filed a lawsuit arguing that removing the statue would violate a state law governing war memorials. A judge has agreed to a temporary injunction that blocks the city from removing the statue for six months.

Fox News’ Doug McKelway and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

[ad_2]

Source link

Elephant blamed for 15 deaths in eastern India shot dead

[ad_1]

SAHIBGANJ, India (Reuters) – An elephant blamed for killing more than a dozen people in the eastern Indian states of Jharkhand and Bihar was shot dead on Friday, after an elaborate hunt that involved dozens of forest officials and a sharpshooter.

State forest official N. K. Singh said the team was assembled was after the elephant, believed to be 20-25 years old, had killed 11 people in the state since March and had damaged some houses.

Singh said the elephant was also believed to have killed four people in the neighboring state of Bihar before that.

Sharpshooter Shafath Ali Khan said in an interview that he first came upon the animal on Thursday, and fired a tranquilizer dart into the elephant’s neck but did not bring it down.

The animal escaped, but Khan later shot and killed the elephant with a .458 calibre magnum rifle.

Khan said it was the seventh elephant he had killed, adding that in the past he had also killed five tigers and eight leopards that had threatened people in other parts of the country.

Forest officials removed the elephant’s tusks and planned to bury the animal in the forest with salt and some flowers.

Additional reporting by Jatindra Dash; Writing by Paritosh Bansal

[ad_2]

Source link

Jennifer Lawrence is being blamed for Chris Pratt, Anna Faris split

[ad_1]

Chris Pratt and Anna Faris announced their breakup on social media on Sunday night, and it didn’t take long for fans to find someone to blame.

Jennifer Lawrence is being accused of causing the couple, who have been married for eight years, to go their separate ways. 

Pratt recently co-starred with Lawrence in the box office flop “Passengers,” and the social media universe was quick to speculate about what could have gone on during filming and as the co-stars promoted the film.

Several Twitter users predicted Pratt would date JLaw down the line.

One user wrote, “Today’s Headline: Chris Pratt and Anna Faris separating. Next Month’s Headline: Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence dating.”

CHRIS PRATT AND ANNA FARRIS ANNOUNCE SEPARATION AFTER EIGHT YEARS OF MARRIAGE

Back in 2016, rumors swirled that Pratt’s marriage to Faris was on the rocks due to Lawrence. The “Mom” actress shared on her podcast, “Anna Faris Is Unqualified,” that the gossip made her feel “insecure.”

“I take pride in how great my relationship is with Chris, but having said that, of course, in this crazy world where he’s off doing movies and I’m in L.A. raising our child, of course I’m going to feel vulnerable, like any normal human would,” Faris shared.

Meanwhile, Lawrence has been rumored to be dating her “Mother” director Darren Aronofsky for the last several months.

Lawrence did return Fox News’ requests for comment. 

[ad_2]

Source link

Jennifer Lawrence is being blamed for Chris Pratt, Anna Faris split

[ad_1]

Chris Pratt and Anna Faris announced their breakup on social media on Sunday night, and it didn’t take long for fans to find someone to blame.

Jennifer Lawrence is being accused of causing the couple, who have been married for eight years, to go their separate ways. 

Pratt recently co-starred with Lawrence in the box office flop “Passengers,” and the social media universe was quick to speculate about what could have gone on during filming and as the co-stars promoted the film.

Several Twitter users predicted Pratt would date JLaw down the line.

One user wrote, “Today’s Headline: Chris Pratt and Anna Faris separating. Next Month’s Headline: Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence dating.”

CHRIS PRATT AND ANNA FARRIS ANNOUNCE SEPARATION AFTER EIGHT YEARS OF MARRIAGE

Back in 2016, rumors swirled that Pratt’s marriage to Faris was on the rocks due to Lawrence. The “Mom” actress shared on her podcast, “Anna Faris Is Unqualified,” that the gossip made her feel “insecure.”

“I take pride in how great my relationship is with Chris, but having said that, of course, in this crazy world where he’s off doing movies and I’m in L.A. raising our child, of course I’m going to feel vulnerable, like any normal human would,” Faris shared.

Meanwhile, Lawrence has been rumored to be dating her “Mother” director Darren Aronofsky for the last several months.

Lawrence did return Fox News’ requests for comment. 

[ad_2]

Source link