Hong Kong’s pop star turned democracy icon – BBC News



Denise Ho was once one of the biggest names in Asian music. When her native Hong Kong was gripped by pro-democracy protests, she took to the streets, …

source

Hollywood Reporter French Kisses China in Sweet Surrender



The Hollywood Reporter just gave a big sloppy French kiss to China. When offered an opportunity to expand their readership in the Land of the Dragon, they …

source

Vietnam protests over Chinese military drill in South China Sea

[ad_1]

HANOI (Reuters) – Vietnam on Thursday opposed what it called a Chinese announcement of military exercises in the disputed South China Sea, disagreements over which have pushed tension between the neighbours to its highest in three years.

China has appeared uneasy at Vietnam’s efforts to rally Southeast Asian countries over the busy waterway as well as at its neighbour’s growing defence ties with the United States, Japan and India.

In July, under pressure from Beijing, Vietnam suspended oil drilling in offshore waters that are also claimed by China.

Vietnam was deeply concerned about drills in the region of the Gulf of Tonkin, at the north end of the South China Sea, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Le Thi Thu Hang said in a statement, but did not make clear what drills were being referred to.

“Vietnam proposes China to cease and refrain from repeating acts that complicate the situation in the East Sea,” Hang said, employing Vietnam’s name for the South China Sea.

All foreign activities in Vietnamese waters must comply with Vietnamese and international laws, she added.

Vietnam’s Foreign Ministry conveyed its position to a Chinese embassy representative on Thursday, the statement added, without saying when China’s announcement was made or when any drill might take place.

China’s Foreign Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last month, the Maritime Safety Administration of China’s southern province of Hainan, which oversees the South China Sea, said military drills would take place south of the province and east of Vietnam from Aug. 29 until Sept. 4.

There would be live fire drills around the Paracel Islands, which Vietnam claims, until Sunday, it added.

China claims nearly all the South China Sea, through which an estimated $3 trillion in international trade passes each year. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Taiwan also have claims.

Reporting by Mai Nguyen; Additional reporting by Ben Blanchard in Beijing; Editing by Alison Williams and Clarence Fernandez

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

[ad_2]

Source link

Vietnam protests at Chinese military drill in South China Sea

[ad_1]

HANOI (Reuters) – Vietnam on Thursday opposed what it said was a Chinese announcement of military exercises in the disputed South China Sea, amid rising tension between the neighbouring countries.

Vietnam did not give any details of when it said the announcement was made or when any drill would take place.

China’s Foreign Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment outside of business hours and it was not immediately clear which drills the Vietnamese statement was referring to.

The statement from Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Le Thi Thu Hang said Vietnam was deeply concerned about drills in the region of the Gulf of Tonkin, north of the disputed South China Sea.

“Vietnam proposes China to cease and refrain from repeating acts that complicate the situation in the East Sea (South China Sea),” Hang said, adding all foreign activities in Vietnamese waters must be comply with Vietnamese and international laws.

The statement said Vietnam’s Foreign Ministry representative contacted a Chinese embassy representative on Thursday to express Vietnam’s position.

China claims nearly all the South China Sea, through which an estimated $3 trillion in international trade passes each year. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Taiwan also have claims.

Tension between China and neighbouring Vietnam is at its highest in three years over the disputed waters.

Vietnam suspended oil drilling in offshore waters that are also claimed by China in July under pressure from Beijing.

China has appeared uneasy at Vietnam’s efforts to rally Southeast Asian countries over the South China Sea as well as at its growing defence relationships with the United States, Japan and India.

Reporting by Mai Nguyen; Additional reporting by Ben Blanchard in Beijing; Editing by Alison Williams

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

[ad_2]

Source link

Funny China 2017 – Best Whatsapp Funny Videos (Funny Video 2017) – Funny India 2017 – JV Vines



Thank you watching Funny China 2017 – Best Whatsapp Funny Videos (Funny Video 2017) – Funny India 2017 – JV Vines – SUBSCRIBE my channel Funny …

source

Pakistani, Chinese officials discuss Afghanistan amid tension with U.S.

[ad_1]

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) – Pakistan’s Foreign Secretary met China’s special envoy on Afghan affairs on Monday, a foreign office spokesman said, a day after Islamabad cancelled a scheduled visit by a top U.S. official.

The decision by Pakistan to postpone the visit of Alice Wells, acting assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs, came a week after President Donald Trump said Islamabad was prolonging the war in Afghanistan.

Trump had accused Pakistan of harbouring “agents of chaos” and providing safe havens for militant groups waging an insurgency against the U.S.-backed government in Kabul.

Pakistani officials responded by saying the U.S. should not “scapegoat” Pakistan and accused the American military of failing to eliminate militant sanctuaries inside Afghanistan.

Wells had been due to discuss Trump’s new Afghan policy during her time in Islamabad.

During Monday’s visit, Chinese envoy Deng Xijun and Pakistan’s Foreign Secretary Tehmina Janjua discussed “efforts for lasting peace and stability in Afghanistan,” Pakistan’s foreign office said in a statement.

“The Chinese special envoy lauded Pakistan’s contribution and sacrifices made in the fight against terrorism … he said Pakistan’s efforts towards eliminating the scourge of terrorism should be fully recognised by the international community,” the foreign office said.

Beijing has pledged to spend $57 billion on infrastructure projects in Pakistan as part of its “Belt and Road” initiative.

China’s spending in Pakistan has helped to revive the country’s sputtering economy.

The deepening ties between the two nations have turned Pakistan into a key cog in China’s plan to build a modern-day “Silk Road” of land and sea trade routes linking Asia with Europe and Africa.

Reporting by Saad Sayeed; Editing by Andrew Bolton

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

[ad_2]

Source link

Macau enlists Chinese army as authorities struggle with typhoon fallout

[ad_1]

MACAU (Reuters) – Chinese People’s Liberation Army troops were deployed on the streets of Macau on Friday to help clean up in the aftermath of a devastating typhoon and amid mounting criticism authorities were unprepared for the severity of the storm.

Macau public broadcaster, TDM, reported some 1,000 Chinese PLA troops left their Macau barracks to assist in the recovery. Chinese troops are rarely seen on Macau streets.

Dressed in fatigues and caps, some used shovels to shift mounds of stinking rubbish and debris cluttering public spaces, including smashed furniture, sofa and televisions, while processions of green military trucks rumbled along roads.

Macau’s leader Fernando Chui requested the Chinese army’s involvement in “disaster relief” after the highest category 10 Typhoon Hato pummeled the world’s biggest gambling hub on Wednesday, the government said.

Under Macau law, the assistance of Chinese troops can be sought for such humanitarian purposes.

The death toll from Hato stood at nine, with scores missing. Hato, with destructive winds of more than 200 kph (124 mph), was the worst storm since 1968 to hit Macau, causing almost city-wide blackouts, flooding, disrupting water supplies, smashing scores of vehicles and damaging buildings.

“This is horrible, horrible. We live like refugees,” said a resident in her 60s surnamed Yeung.

Hong Kong’s weather observatory said there were indications another storm, brewing close to the Philippines, could hit southern China in the next few days, though it wasn’t expected to be as strong as Hato.

“NO TIME TO PREPARE”

Amid mounting outrage at the government’s handling of the storm, including the perceived failure to adequately warn residents as it approached, Macau leader Chui apologized and said the head of the local observatory would step down.

People’s Liberation Army (PLA) soldiers react as they clean debris after Typhoon Hato hits in Macau, China August 25, 2017.Tyrone Siu

Some residents said it wasn’t enough.

“The official who left is just a scapegoat to protect Chui…the government is useless,” said Protia Chow, a resident in her 50s who helps run a trading company.

“Chui will not step down but many people think he should,” said Macau resident Cheng Kin-ching. “People are angry at the local government … people were still going to work and it was very dangerous. People died and it’s the government’s responsibility. People had no time to prepare.”

Sonia Chan, an official with the Secretariat for Administration and Justice, who visited some badly affected areas, deflected questions on the public outrage.

“We are here today for disaster relief. We hope to do something concrete,” she said.

As nearby Hong Kong shut down and closed financial markets on Wednesday ahead of Hato, Macau’s authorities failed to raise a sufficiently high typhoon warning signal, critics said, leading many residents to go to work that day.

Authorities have struggled to restore order in the city of 600,000, with some residents having to queue for water from fire hydrants. Many of Macau’s large casinos were relying on back-up generators.

Macau has been rapidly transformed since its return from Portuguese to Chinese rule in 1999 into a gambling hub many times larger than Las Vegas, with major U.S. casinos piling in.

Infrastructure, however, has mostly failed to keep pace with its development despite the rise of a wave of glitzy casino resorts.

Macau gambling stocks fell again in Friday trade with shares of MGM China leading the slide and down nearly 2.5 percent. Wynn Macau fell nearly 2 percent, and Melco International dropped 1.6 percent. Galaxy Entertainment eased 1.5 percent.

Reporting by Venus Wu, Farah Master and Tyrone Siu; Additional reporting by Donny Kwok; Writing by James Pomfret; Editing by Michael Perry and Richard Borsuk

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

[ad_2]

Source link

Chinese man charged over US hack attacks

[ad_1]

Los Angelese airportImage copyright
Reuters

Image caption

The arrest was made soon after Mr Pingan touched down in Los Angeles

A Chinese man has been arrested in the US for allegedly selling malware used to hack into American companies.

US authorities claim in court papers that Yu Pingan bought and sold malicious software including the rarely used Sakula program.

That malware has been implicated in the 2014 hack attack on the US federal Office of Personnel Management (OPM).

Information on a huge number of US workers employed in sensitive or secret work was stolen in that data breach.

Software bugs

Mr Pingan was arrested earlier this week soon after he disembarked from a flight that landed at Los Angeles international airport. He has been charged with breaching computer networks owned by several US firms.

Legal papers filed to support the arrest do not explicitly mention the OPM as one of the targets of the suspected attacks. Instead, they claim Mr Pingan was a key member of a gang that carried out hack attacks on US firms between 2011 and 2014.

The hackers are alleged to have used fake web domains and previously unseen software vulnerabilities to gain a foothold on the networks of companies being targeted, say the court documents.

The targeted firms have not been named but the papers say they were based in California, Massachusetts and Arizona.

The arrest is believed to be linked to the OPM breach because, unlike many other malicious programs, Sakula has only been used to carry out a small number of attacks. As well as being implicated in the OPM breach it was also used in a 2015 attack on US health insurance giant Anthem.

[ad_2]

Source link

NEW GADGETS 2017 THIS ROBOT CAN TEACH U CHINESE SHENZHEN CHINA MARCARIB



NEW GADGETS 2017 THIS ROBOT CAN TEACH U CHINESE SHENZHEN CHINA MARCARIB https://www.facebook.com/MarCariB.Business/ MY ENGLISH …

source